Jane: As Belle or Delilah? A look at the troubling closing chapters of “Jane Eyre”

Jane Eyre has opened up the possibilities for comparisons to many literary works, and I just can’t help but to introduce the possibility of one more ( sorry if it’s overkill at this point, it’s just so tempting!). In the last few chapters I felt that there were illusions not only to the popular Beauty and the Beast but to biblical stories as well, so let’s jump right in.

“His form was of the same strong and stalwart contour as ever: his port was still erect, his hair was still raven-black… But in his countenance I saw a change: that looked desperate and brooding- that remind me of some wronged and fettered wild beast or bird… The caged eagle, whose gold-ringed eyes cruelty has extinguished, might look as looked that sightless Samson” ( 367). From the first time Jane describes Mr. Rochester, we know that he isn’t attractive and that she doesn’t find him as such: when she encounters him on the road before she knows who he is, “the frown, the roughness of the traveler” (97) sets her at ease, and then when he asks her a few pages later (112) if she thinks he’s handsome, she bluntly responds with a no. Thus, the character of the beast living in this mansion ( we are told through Jane’s observations that there are many rooms left vacant but all perfectly clean due to the upkeep of Mrs. Fairfax) arises, with Jane as the beauty, as Belle, not because she is beautiful but because she is so small and delicate.

Mr. Rochester as the beast and Jane as the beauty come into full effect in the excerpt that I’ve highlighted for us. It is here that Mr. Rochester is as ugly as he ever was and where Jane is reminded of her slightness when her host describes the person with whom Mr. Rochester fell in love as “She was a little small thing, they say, almost like a child ” (363). Here she is like Belle returning to the beast after she has left him only to discover that he has been wounded and is dying from heartbreak. Jane’s first sighting of Thornfield Hall after a year speaks not only of a physical fire having ravaged it, but also reflects the mental state of its master and how he had given up all of his vitality even before the fire took away his eyesight. When Jane returns to Mr. Rochester, he is at the peak of his “beast” like countenance, but this is when Jane is able to give in to her love for him and marry him ( of course it’s also because Bertha is dead and Jane has her own money, but let’s not focus on the semantics for a minute here) much like how Belle admits her love for the the beast after he has reached his wits end. Alas, once she does so, the beast turns into a prince. For Jane her reality isn’t as instantaneous as this, but the experience for the reader is. Within a few pages we’re told that after two years of marriage, Mr. Rochester’s sight improved in one eye: his bestiality has lessened.

“Sightless Samson” is also mentioned in that verse. A biblical narrative that I’m sure most, if not all, of your are familiar with, surrounds Samson and Delilah who defeated him. Samson had grown out his hair ( he was a “Nazir”, someone who doesn’t cut his hair out of a symbolic gesture of disowning physical pleasures and committing oneself to God) and was known for his strength ( he rips a lion in half at one point). Delilah, his temptress, finds out that without his hair his strength would wilt, and so she cuts his hair because she is obviously playing for the enemy’s team. Jane compares Mr. Rochester to this “caged eagle” without his eyesight, equating his vision to that of Samson’s hair. It is here that I want to open up the floor to you guys because I couldn’t figure this out: why was Mr. Rochester’s vision so important to be compared to that of Samson’s hair? That’s a pretty drastic claim to make. What do you guys propose is the significance behind this? **

I think it’s also interesting how Jane is obviously not comparing herself to Delilah, but yet how the reader can’t help but to feel the similarities that Jane indeed intimates to. Yes, she didn’t set the fire to the house as Bertha did, an act that would undoubtedly make her the Delilah of the story, but it was because of her running away that Mr. Rochester entered into a depression. One could argue that if Jane would have stayed at Thornfield, none of those events would have transpired. Jane was the Delilah to the mental deterioration of Mr. Rochester; Bertha was the Delilah to the physical.

“If Saul could have had you for his David, the evil spirit would have been exorcised without the aid of the harp” ( 373). Another biblical narrative is from the book of Samuel and describes how David playing the harp was the only thing that could heal David. Again, Jane is described as the figure who comes in to save the day. Again she is the Belle to the beast.

Bringing all of these into their actual placement in the novel, it makes me like Jane less ( yes, I said it). She, as the writer and narrator, ends the book with all of these example that portray her as the savior and that portray the long path that the unhappy orphan has traveled since she started the novel. Of course, as a reader who has been invested in her growth since the start and waiting for her to be saved at last, I’m happy that she’s at the end of her trials and tribulations. But at the same time, I wish that she didn’t have to end the book on this ‘high and mighty’ tone; it was too happily ever after for me, but even more than that: it was as if she was preaching. The last words of the book are about St John, not even about the supposed fairy tale happiness, making me picture Jane as characterizing herself and deliberately painting herself as a do-gooder. I ended the book on a troubled note, overwhelmed with all of these blatant “look at how good of a person I am” details, rather than being able to enjoy that she was finally able to marry her true love.  How did everyone else feel about the tone on which Jane chooses to end her story on?

** St John seems to fit the technical “Nazir” description more than Mr. Rochester, which is again why I’m confused by this biblical allusion. St John believes that love comes after your religious obligation, whereas Mr. Rochester is much the opposite and believes in his right to true love despite having a wife already. 

11 thoughts on “Jane: As Belle or Delilah? A look at the troubling closing chapters of “Jane Eyre”

1. PornManiak.com

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I
    stumbleupon everyday. It will always be interesting to read through articles from other writers and practice a little something from their sites.

2. jual tas

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and
    come with almost all significant infos. I would like to
    look more posts like this .

3. Relationship

great points altogether, you just won a new reader. What would you suggest
    about your submit that you simply made some days in the past?
    Any positive?

4. evolv

Oral herpes or generally known as Cold sores, are itchy and painful
    blisters usually found in the mouth, gums, lips, and face.
    Traditional Chinese medicine also believes that our humankind emotion has a close relation with the
    health of lung. When we speak about Evolv leadership, the
    folks that manage the company seem to be people of integrity.

5. que faire pour etre riche

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your site.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to
    come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Outstanding work!

6. tarot visa

The Sulphur is Activity, Energy, Desire; Mercury is
    Fluidity, Intelligence, the power of Transmission; Salt
    is the vehicle of these two forms of energy, but itself possesses qualities which react
    on them. With what can be found for the enthusiast,
    My – Space tarot groups show that the king of social networking
    is still in the building. Use this information
    to remind yourself that every day is a new opportunity to
    change how we interact with world, and hence change the world we live in.

7. Katryna

I thought your post was very interesting, I didn’t even think of the Beauty and the Beast comparison.
    I see it harder for Rochester losing his sight than Samson getting his hair cut off and losing his strength because Rochester always had his sight and it is harder to lose something you already had. I also think Rochesters sight is compared to Samsons hair is because Rochester is weak without his sight. He will always need someone by him and that is where Jane comes in. Before she did not see a place for herself with him but I think it is nice that after all the tragedies that have happened she is able to marry him. It is true and sad that if Jane had not left the fire would not have happened but then they would have not ended up together.

8. Malorie

I loved your Beauty and the Beast comparison, I loved that movie growing up. All the points you made are spot on. I feel like Jame definitely is what Rochester needed to be happy. He was a withering flower and Jane is what brought him back to life. Jane is Belle because they both try and make it seem that being alone is ok with them but deep down being in love and married is what they truly want. And when they both get their Prince Charming they are the happiest they’ve ever been.

9. Jason Tougaw

Hello from Abu Dhabi! I think one answer to your question about the Samson analogy is that Rochester is such a keen observer (and evaluator) or other people–including his stint as a fortune teller, his continuous comments about other characters’ physiognomy, and his frank evaluation of his own “ugliness.” When he loses sight, it’s at least a symbolic diminution of his power.

10. davidginsberg

The Beauty and the Beast comparison is very interesting and one that I didn’t think of since Jane is continually referenced as not being beautiful. I agree with your assessment though.

As for why Rochester’s eyes would be compared to Sampson’s hair, I think the answer is that he’s powerlessness now. Rochester was a fiercely independent person who would never let anybody help him with anything. Now he was dependent on his servants and wasn’t even able to walk without the aid of Old John. Rochester feels emasculated since he has to depend on others to do everything for him. He finally shoos away his insecurities and lets Jane be his eyes and serve/help him. Jane resumes the teaching/motherly position she coveted as a governess and teacher.

My first thought when the story of Rochester’s blindness was revealed was that this could have all been easily avoided if Jane hadn’t left, so I agree with you on that point also.

Jane’s attitude through the last 2 chapters of the book annoyed me immensely. You’ve added fuel to the fire because I was more perturbed that she was happy about Rochester’s accident since she could finally be of use to him. She was somewhat remorseful but, for the most part, she was glad. All of the examples of her being high and mighty make her even more frustrating.