Scrooge’d

We’ve all seen our favorite shows do their own renditions of “A Christmas Carol” but have you ever stopped and asked yourself, what would the three ghost show me? After all we all have a bit of Scrooge in us whether we want to admit it or not.  We all turned down donating to a charity, missed a few shindigs a family member or friend has thrown simply because we were just in a “Bah Humbug” mood.  I personally have become quite the Scrooge around the holidays simply because I’ve worked in a retail store for six years and Christmas time felt more like doomsday for me.  Fortunately for me I made it out of working retail alive and can now truly enjoy and appreciate the joys of the holidays.
Growing up Christmas was about God and going to church to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, as got older it became more then just that.After reading A Christmas Carol I was surprised that the religious aspect of Christmas wasn’t really displayed, it had more of a modern twist to it.  I expected religion to be a major part of the novel because it did take place in Victorian England.  I appreciated that it was more about the joys of Christmas like giving, spending time with loved ones and being generous and kind to others.  Dickens characterization of the Crachit family really opens the readers eyes to what is truly important in life.  Having wealth means nothing if you don’t have anyone to share it with.  If the Crachit’s don’t make you appreciate life for the little things I don’t know what will.  The Crachit’s are the perfect way to bring anyone back to reality who get wrapped in the craziness of the holiday season who let buying the perfect get in the way of spending time with loved ones.
The use of the ghosts helps people to take the time to step of themselves and and take the time to re evaluate the person they become.  The ghost of Christmas past who represents memory, shows Scrooge that he was once a kind hearted person which gets him to question himself about why he’s become the way he is. The ghost takes him in a step by step journey through his life showing him how he went from loving person to a greedy business man.  Don’t you wish you were the ghost of  Christmas past and bring the Scrooge in your life on a journey through time to bring them back to reality?  I know I do.  With the ghost of present helps Scrooge to have empathy for the people he thought so little of.  He is brought to the Crachit’s home and sees how they are living and what they go through and they still are kind and loving to one another while he has achieved everything he’s wanted too and is still a grumpy old man.  The Crachit’s are Dickens way of showing how the poor are just swept underneath the table because of their social status and open the readers eyes to what is happening in world.  Even in today’s society it’s easy to just walk past a homeless person on the street and not have a second thought on what their lives are like.  But if people took the time to speak to them maybe they would see that they are not much different then anyone else they just have bigger problems and find a way to help even it’s small.  Lastly the ghost of Christmas yet to come shows him how his past actions have led him to not be respected even as a deadman. Your legacy is made by the person you were while you were alive and Scrooge wasn’t the best person so it was no surprise that people were cursing his name when he died.  Dickens wrote the perfect manual on how to be a a good person in the world but disguised it as a Christmas Carol.  Each ghost represented a different part of life and showed what values should be held a a higher standard and those that shouldn’t be as important.  Dickens wrote a timeless piece that could be relatable to anyone of any generation.  Now again I ask, what would the three ghost show you?

6 thoughts on “Scrooge’d

1. kelsey214

I agree that a lot of us, including me, don’t do all that we can to help others mostly because we’re too focused on bettering ourselves before anyone else. What’s sad is that reading this novel now, and watching the different renditions of it around the holidays gets people to change for a couple days, weeks or even a month or two, but reality is that unless we’re consistently reminded to think of others it’s typical for us to forget. The change we see in Scrooge throughout the story is obviously one for the better.
    The transition we see in Scrooge from being a mean cold hearted business man into a kind considerate man, sadly makes me think that school also being considered a workplace, is turning me into a miserable person. I’d much rather be out doing good deeds then locked up in my room doing homework, but hey at least there’s no ghosts haunting me…yet.

2. clemence

When you write “Even in today’s society it’s easy to just walk past a homeless person on the street and not have a second thought on what their lives are like”, I agree, Dickens really highlight the fact that we cannot know what kind of life some people are living, but I guess his point may aim at something larger. He indeed talks about poor people but I think we could interpret this novel as a way to look around us and to be helpful, and not only to the homeless, but just to whoever needs it in our circle.

3. Jason Tougaw

Marsh suggests that Dickens’ incorporation of imagery and narrative techniques borrowed from the magic lantern suggest an interest in transformation. In other words, identity isn’t fixed or stable. You all seem to be suggesting something similar when you make the point that “we all have a little bit of Scrooge in us,” but also that we don’t have to capitulate to Scroogian impulses.

4. alixg

” After reading A Christmas Carol I was surprised that the religious aspect of Christmas wasn’t really displayed, it had more of a modern twist to it. I expected religion to be a major part of the novel because it did take place in Victorian England. I appreciated that it was more about the joys of Christmas like giving, spending time with loved ones and being generous and kind to others.” I think that this element adds to the ability for its numerous renditions, as everyone has been discussing. It’s a story that makes anyone think about what they can improve on, and does so in such a clever manner that practically forces you to reflect upon yourself instead of just suggesting it. Anyone can answer your question of what their three ghosts would show them because the ghosts are not tied to religion, and are more bound to the principles of right and wrong. On your note about religion, I agree with David’s comment. I noticed that as well and was able to enjoy the story from the standpoint of a human being, irregardless of my religious faith, which I think is important considering that I’m not Christian. It is merely the plot’s timeline that incorporates Christmas and that prompts the ghosts to appear and Scrooge to reflect on his life. Could this have taken place with the backdrop of a different setting and had the same effect? One hundred percent.

5. Laura Gonzaga

“After all we all have a bit of Scrooge in us whether we want to admit it or not.”

I agree with you on this point. I think life can sometimes render circumstances that suck the joy and good spirit right out of us. Different events that happen throughout our lives mold our character over time. When Scrooge is taken to the past by the Ghost of Christmas Past, we see how his previous experiences helped shape and mold his character. Since most of us might agree that ghosts are not “real” – symbolically we can use the ghosts as forms of introspection. Looking inside ourselves and realizing what is causing certain behaviors can enable us to make the proper adjustments to lead better lives and ultimately become better people.

6. davidginsberg

“Dickens wrote the perfect manual on how to be a a good person in the world but disguised it as a Christmas Carol.”

This is such a perfect, astute observation of Dickens’ classic story. The Christmas setting is nothing more than a backdrop intended to elicit more emotion from the reader. Everyone (except retail store workers, apparently :P) is more generous during the holiday season so Dickens used this to soften the reader up even more.

In the end, this is a story that chastises greed and highlights the importance of love, charity and family. You can have all the money in the world, but it doesn’t mean a thing if you have nobody who loves you and nobody to share it with. That’s why the Crachit family is so touching. They have so little but are much happier than Scrooge could ever imagine.

As for what the 3 ghosts would show me, I’m more like Scrooge than I’d like to be. Started out really nice and caring and giving. Now, I’m indifferent to pretty much everything. I have hope for myself but I’m pretty jaded at the moment. Thanks for making me feel like crap.