Buffy the Patriarchy Slayer

In recent times, the once sinister and devilish Vampire race have been castrated by Hollywood Film industry. In their place they have been replaced with dark, brooding and very sparkly vampires who exist to charm girls and men to buy movie tickets. The image of the vampire has shifted from the days of “Nosferatu” to the “Twilight” series but on overarching theme does remain in the narrative; the dominance over women. The story is the same girl meets vampire but is not sure if she meets vampire at all. The next step is the either girl figures out on her own or vampire reveals his true identity inadvertently and then all hell breaks loose. We either have a love story or something sinister occurs and girl must be rescued.

This is a common dynamic in the Vampire/Human dynamic until Joss Whedon’s “Buffy the Vampire Slayer debut probably around fifteen years ago. (Shit, I am old!) Buffy was probably one of the bigger TV shows in its time and also one of the first to have a strong female character in a vampire dynamic. She was incredibly strong cheerleader that spent her time hitting the books as well as murdering everything from vampires, werewolves and various other devilish creatures in Sunnydale. Buffy does fell into the stereotypical girl/vampire relationship like Bella but her relationships were starkly different. It was a TV show so obviously she had to have those types of romances but she is never made into a victim from it. She was completely capable of saving herself in she was in any trouble from enemies or evil doers. Do her vampire boyfriends help her from time to time? Of Course, but it never turns into a one sided dependency that weakens her as a character. She has even been willing to sacrifice her vampire lovers if it interfered with greater good of the community. So the Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the modern day response feminist response to the male dominated vampire dynamic.

4 thoughts on “Buffy the Patriarchy Slayer

1. Ali Troiano

I love that you related this to Buffy. I was in a Feminist Fairy Tale course and we constantly referred back to this show to look at variants of fairy tales that work to depict strong female characters rather than passive female characters. The vampire trope also has a place in the fairy tale genre. In many of the vampire fairy tales, the trope of blood related to some sexual significance. This usually took the form of a representation of a loss of virginity or a breach of traditional sexuality. The act of sucking of the blood also represented an act of domination or gain in control.

2. Kelsey Fiala

I enjoy your comparison between Le Fanu’s “Carmilla” and the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think that like you said, a main reason why Buffy was/is so popular is the idea of a female kicking ass. She doesn’t let people… or non-human creatures for that matter, walk all over her. She is a tough lovable character. Unlike Buffy, I found Laura’s character to be just the opposite. I didn’t feel as if she were a heroine of the novel, nor did she really seem to care or fight for her life. She comes off as weak and feeble perhaps because of the spell Carmilla has on her. Regardless, I found myself not liking her throughout the novel.

3. swu7

First of all, I love your title. It’s so catchy! I love Buffy, so I immediately gravitated towards this blog post. I like the connection you made to “Carmilla,” especially in light of other vampire franchises that are nothing like the novel. Although, I’m not sure if you’re relating Buffy with the narrator or with Carmilla, because Buffy is human and Carmilla is a vampire. And note, Buffy usually did not hit the books on the show, it was mostly the Scooby gang that did that 🙂